30 November, 2011

Fried Pork Chops

Really I guess these aren't true pork chops because there isn't a bone in them.  It's actually a big thing of pork loin that we get at the local bigger than average membership box store that has been sliced first of all into 3 portions and then frozen for later use and this is one of those uses.  It's really easy to do and takes all of about 10 minutes total.  What we end up waiting on more than anything is a place to come open in the cast iron skillet.  I use olive oil to make it a little bit healthier for us; I've also use lard just the same.

First you need to get your supplies together.  You will need 1 egg to start with (for this many I used 2 eggs total) beat up in a bowl that's big enough to handle your slice of pork.  A bag for the batter mix (I used 1/2 and 1/2 all purpose flour and corn meal).  On a side note; this is the same bag that the pork was frozen in, I just washed and dried it out so I didn't have to get another one. And 1 skillet that has about an inch or so of oil of your choice preheating on medium in the bottom of it.

Chop your pork loin into about 2 inch thick or so slices and place on a plate. 


Then dip each side into the egg



then into the batter



Carefully put it in the now hot oil and cook for about 10 minutes or so on each side. Usually when they are good and brown and crispy is how I tell. 


Then it's just repeat until done.

We usually serve these with whatever vegetable that we have on hand and then make a cream gravy with biscuts on the side.


It helps if you have it to use cast iron that's been seasoned by not only your Grandmother but also your Mother -In-Law...makes for better cooking I think.


Places I'm linkin' up: http://frugallysustainable.blogspot.com/  for Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways #3
                                  http://www.littlehouseliving.com/old-fashioned-recipe-exchange-11-29.html

2 comments:

  1. I have pork chops set out tonight for dinner. Thanks for giving me a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amy,

    Hello, welcome and thanks for stopping by!

    You're very welcome! They are really really good and so easy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...